Monday, August 23, 2010

New Calling

On August 18 my Bishop and his 2nd Counselor came to my house. I thought there was no way I would be getting a new calling because I had just barely been called to be the first counselor in Young Womens, even though I had not yet been set apart. So I'm sitting there completely calm while the Bishop is talking to Kit, then he turns to me and says that they are actually there to talk to me. He asked me if I would be the new Young Women's president. Instantly my mouth went dry and I wanted to cry. I have been a leader in Young Womens for most of my married life and I love it! I love the girls and being able to learn and grow from them, but Young Women's president? I mean, I've only been out of Young Women's for 6 years and let's be honest, I wasn't the best girl in the group. How can I lead these girls to become their best selves when I'm not at my best? But in all honesty, I guess I knew this was coming, just not this soon. The Lord makes things known to us so we can prepare. I only wish I would have prepared more.

The next day I accepted the calling and started thinking about who to call as my counselors. There are some great women in our ward, and I think we will have a good presidency. I've been on the verge of tears since the night the Bishop showed up at my house. It is overwhelming and humbling. I've pretty much been in Young Women's since I was 8 because my mom was the president and I went to activities and camp with her. I have had really good examples of how to be a good Young Women's president from my mom and the two presidents I have served under. I'm really nervous. I have big shoes to fill, but know that the Lord will help me make it through.

2 comments:

  1. You are going to be an amazing Young Women's President! The leaders that made the biggest impact in my life had made some wrong decisions but they continued to live the gospel and they always said it made them a better person. You will be able to relate to the girls and you will grow together :) Good luck in your new calling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowie! That sounds super scary! But you will do so GREAT :)

    ReplyDelete