Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Day 2... My Job

I work for the Division of Child and Family Services as a caseworker in the out-of-home unit. I have my social service worker license (all that means is that I make more money than I did before I had it). My main responsibilities are to make sure my kids are safe, have food and clothing, and are going to school. I work with their bio families to try to prepare them for the kids to come home. I make sure they are attending therapy and receiving all of the support they need to be successful on their own. If it becomes obvious that the parents aren't going to get their crap together I either work with the kid to help them get ready to be on their own or work towards adoption with the foster family, it depends mostly on the age of the child. I spend a lot of time in the car and a lot of time on the phone, which is not one of my favorite thing. I also go to court a few times a month and have had to testify on the stand on a few occasions. That scares me still.

I love that I have Fridays off, but I hate working 10 hour days Monday-Thursday. I love seeing little ones get adopted by great people, but hate seeing parents who don't or can't get their lives in order. I love getting paid to care, but I hate that I think about work all the time. It is a very emotionally draining job, but it can be rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment